PDA

View Full Version : Which Roof Rack?

Antony
11th January 2010, 17:58
Hey All,

I am starting to look for a roof rack for my LWB 460. I see that Hannibal, African Outback and Frontrunner all say they have racks for the G.

My question is what rack do you have and is there a praticular make and model that I should look out for, either to buy or to avoid?

regards

Antony

Doug Nel
12th January 2010, 06:45
Hello Antony

I have after quite a bit of research I settled on the Hannibal roofrack. Very happy so far. They also modify it so that you can slide in a table unedr the rack. Hannibal also exports G roofracks to the US.

Pete460332
12th January 2010, 07:38
Hello Antony

I have after quite a bit of research I settled on the Hannibal roofrack. Very happy so far. They also modify it so that you can slide in a table unedr the rack. Hannibal also exports G roofracks to the US.

What is the max height of the rack above the centre of vehicle roof ? I need to work out if vehicle and rack will fit in to my garage!
Peter

Andrew
12th January 2010, 08:26
I know the Americans on P3 speak very highly of the Hannibal.

I think I have a Front Runner. It is neat and very well made.

It costs fuel to use it though. It adds 10 - 15% to my fuel bill unladen.

Gelšnde
12th January 2010, 09:59
Had an African Outback on my 290 and also very solid. Also came with the table slide.

As far as I can remember, the Frontrunner is a bit cheaper than the other 2 mentioned. All 3 are excellent.

amzimmy
12th January 2010, 12:51
The Frontrunner roof rack is used by UNICAT GMBH (the MB appointed outfitter) to the new "ENTDECKER" G. Must be good!

Michel

Gelšnde
12th January 2010, 13:02
...the new "ENTDECKER" G...

Where are you ordering your "ENTDECKER" http://www.mercedes-g-entdecker.com from? And $$$=???

amzimmy
12th January 2010, 16:19
[quote="Michel Zimmermann":395c30qn]...the new "ENTDECKER" G...

Where are you ordering your "ENTDECKER" http://www.mercedes-g-entdecker.com from? And $$$=???[/quote:395c30qn]

Will let you know all the "gritty-bitty" soon 8-)

Antony
12th January 2010, 20:58
I saw that the Entdecker has been specced with a Frontrunner, although they say "specially customised" so no telling how far it is from the stock rack.

Hannibal got back to me with a price, about a grand more expensive than the Frontrunner. No response from AO yet.

Franna
9th May 2011, 23:53
hey

Does anyone know where one can find a roof rack like this one, or preferably the member/beam that supports it on the sides, would rather build one than import it for too a high price?

Alan
10th May 2011, 08:41
I have a Frontrunner and am very happy with it to a point. They are well made but still lack some things I like so I would make one. You can buy the feet and slats from Frontrunner. I find I bolt a 10mm(only piece I had) plywood on top of the rack to prevent things falling through and place a tarpaulin over this. I then load my roofrack and cover up with the tarpaulin and secure with a cargo net.
Obviously it all depends on what you want to load. eg Wood, ammoboxes, jerry cans, gas cylinder... Some of them have very neat attachments also from front runner.

Antony
18th May 2011, 18:13
I ended up buying the Hannibal, which is very solid. It has four broad legs per side made from heavy aluminum that attach to a solid foot running the length of the vehicle. eight left to right bars provide support for the slats which are grooved to take 8mm bolts to attach whatever you want to. It also has removable sides and back piece. I am based in Johannesburg if you want to take a look.

regards

Antony

Arie Roos
18th May 2011, 21:30
i bought the hannibal G roofrack and awning couple of years ago. very happy with it now but had to get them to raise the height of the supports and also to put in additional cross-members as the base was too flexible and too close to the roof and was making contact with the roof of my G when i was standing on my roofrack (80kg)! also had to put in proper bolts with nuts in some places (where the awning bolts on to the roofrack) as the allen-key type bolts they put in stripped the thick alluminium and the awning almost came off on the highway.....without being off-road at all.

Riaan Harman
19th May 2011, 12:11
IMO the Frontrunner is very well build and I never had issues even when doing overland trips and it is carrying a full load.

munga
26th January 2012, 13:14
Where can you view these racks and tents in the Cape?

I see all 3 (Hannibal, Frontrunner and African Outback) offer roof racks for the G on thier sites.

Doug Nel
26th January 2012, 13:37
Darcy I have a Hannibal that you come and look at if you want to. Could also lower it onto you G if required.

munga
26th January 2012, 15:15
Darcy I have a Hannibal that you come and look at if you want to. Could also lower it onto you G if required.

Very good idea Doug! At least I know it will fit! I'll be in touch, thanks!